Thursday, January 14, 2010

Instilling Qualities in My Children

Good parenting doesn't happen by accident. I haven't even been a parent for a year yet (although, almost!), and I know that parenting is hard work that requires a variety of skills and emotions, that should be guided through prayer and meditation on God's Word.

I realize that there is no way I can completely prepare myself for what lies ahead in my journey as a parent. However, I also realize that I should prepare myself as much as I possible in order to equip Ella with the qualities, skills, and experiences she needs to live a successful life: both spiritually and physically.

I often think about the type of person I hope Ella will grow up to be. There are many qualities I want her to exhibit, as well as qualities I hope she doesn't possess. I think one of the main keys in instilling these qualities in her is to first identify these qualities. After I've identified these qualities, I must then examine myself. If I don't exhibit these qualities, how can I expect her to exhibit them? Finally, I'll have to figure out ways to teach her about these qualities - sometimes this will be an easy task, and sometimes I know it will be difficult!

Over the next few months, I plan to blog about some of the different qualities I want to instill in Ella. I already have a few of these qualities in my mind, but I know as I contemplate this longer I'll think of even more qualities. I know that by truly considering these qualities I'll be growing personally, as well as preparing myself to be a better parent to Ella.

What qualities do you hope to instill in your children?

7 comments:

  1. A couple of the qualities I really want to instill in my kids are compassion for other people and servitude. I want them to learn to notice the needs of other people and act on that. And since that's something best learned by example, I'd better get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a few notes on Facebook about the same subject! I think about it OFTEN! It is such a great responsibility!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check your notes out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am doing a character qualities project this year with my husband. There are a total of 49 qualities that we are focusing on - one per week. The list is in my sidebar on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so few people that actually THINK about parenting. So many just "do" and "anticipate" that it will all work out. True, it probably will, but a lot of issues your child may face could potentially be avoided with proctive parenting.

    I'm a young mom-to-be, but I've thought about parenting so much that I've actually received sarcasm from my mother - perhaps because she realizes that she wasn't proactive with me.

    I want to raise an indepent, appreciative, caring, God-fearing, strong,loyal son or daughter. I want my child to have a level of confidence that can withstand most peer pressure and a certain expectation of themselves that they are more concerned about how their actions will make them feel than about their fear of how I might feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dani - Such a great comment! I completely agree with you. I want to be a proactive parent, and it seems like so many jump into parenthood without really thinking about how they truly want to raise their children which I think is very dangerous!

    ReplyDelete