Friday, December 18, 2009

Constructive Feedback Friday at I Heart Faces

I'm still very new to photography, as well as editing, so I'm really looking forward to today's "Constructive Feedback Friday" at I Heart Faces. I'm ready to learn from the great readers at I Heart Faces! I would love to know what I could do to get a better shot straight of out the camera, as well as any comments about the edit (and editing process).

This is the photo SOOC (I'm being brave and posting it pre-crop . . . please ignore my somewhat messy house in the background!). The background is a thick roll of wrapping paper. I wish it was wider, but it is all I had to work with at the time. She is facing a window. (Here is the image uploaded on Flickr).
Here is the EXIF data:
  • Canon Rebel EOS XS with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens
  • f/4.0
  • SS 1/25
  • ISO 400
  • 24 mm focal length
  • Manual mode, no flash
First, I straightened the photo slightly (it seemed like it was taken at a slight angle), as well as cropped the photo.


Next, in GIMP, I cloned out the spots on the wrapping paper.

Finally, I opened the photo in Lightroom (I'm checking out the beta version right now) where I increased the fill light, as well as increased the blacks. I feel like it may be too dark in the bottom right corner (as well as too wrinkly).

Thanks again for the constructive feedback! Be sure to check out other entries in "Constructive Feedback Friday!"

4 comments:

  1. I live in Lightroom while I'm at school. Can't afford it for my personal computer yet! Cute picture. The way to get pictures SOOC is to shoot not in manual mode. That's the idea anyway. I'm still working on it! Watch your incamera light meter and closer to your subject (crop in camera) is always better. Which is not easy for those of us that don't have full frame cameras! I shoot with a Rebel XT! Although for most of my day to day shots I use a Nikon Coolpix! Put a light off to the side and slightly behind her to seperate her from the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see what you were thinking, and I have to give you props for posting the SOOC shot. That's awesome :) First off, your lighting is not even, so in the pro world, unless you can even the lighting out ... the shot just doesn't work. It's evident with her face being lit properly and her feet and the bottom of her dress being dimly lit. Because of the available light source, we can also see the cut-off where the paper bends ... also would need to be fixed. So when all is said and done, you'd spend a large amount of hours editing ... but really do you need too? If you were positioned by a window ... USE IT!! :) Natural light will never be replaced as the best and most lovely available light source. Get your set-up close to the window, and instead of pulling it vertical the way you see it in the picture ... why not attempt propping it up horizontally? Surround her with your background by attaching it to various objects and soak up that natural light. THEN get into the zone and shoot for it! She's way too cute not to try it ... LOL ;) GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture! I don't know a lot about photography, but your subject is awfully cute. I love the bare feet :).

    ReplyDelete