Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2014 Goals

For the past couple of years, I’ve made a point to write out specific goals at the start of the year. Though I fell short in many of my goals last year (for lots of reasons, some legitimate, some not so much), I find that writing these goals out really helps me to focus and reflect. Many goals are the same as in the past years; some because I didn’t complete them and others because they ought to continually be on the list.

Spiritual Goals:

  • Daily Bible Reading
  • Focused/Planned Bible Study
  • Write Bible study lessons (and execute them) for the kids.
  • Continue using the Scripture Memory System with the kids (and me!). We started this system last year, and I really loved it! However, I started slacking off though in completing this with the kids, and I want to get back on track with it. 
  • Develop a deeper and more specific prayer life.
  • Make an effort to be aware of others’ needs.
  • Make an effort to encourage brothers and sisters in Christ.
  • Always be ready and eager to share the gospel.

House Goals:

  • Get the house organized, and purged of excess junk at the beginning of the year.  I feel like this is a never-ending project. I cleaned things out fairly well before having Luke, but I still need to clean out more!
  • Clear out and organize the kids' rooms and playroom. 
  • Teach (and enforce) good habits to the kids for keeping their areas picked up. This will be particularly important once Luke becomes mobile.
  • Have a garage sale.
  • Keep up with Flylady’s daily assignments to help keep the house in a manageable state.
  • Handle papers (mail, or otherwise) when they come into the home, rather than just piling them up to handle later.
  • Get one “house” project done each month (paint the front door, repair the floor, etc.)
  • This isn’t technically a “house” goal, but it fits here best: Keep our cars clear of junk and trash.

Health Goals:

  • Get back into a regular cardio routine even if it just means pushing the stroller around the block.
  • Gain strength and endurance.
  • Refocus on healthy eating. Between severe extended morning sickness and gestational diabetes, pregnancy always does a number on my eating habits, and last year’s pregnancy with Luke was no exception.

Family goals:

  • Eat at home more often.
  • Cook dinner with the kids 1-2 times a month. I really want to involve them more in cooking, but I get stuck in this bad habit of not involving them because it is quicker/easier for me to do things myself (and dinner time always seems to be hectic around our house).
  • Try out a new meal at least once a month.
  • Cook a hot breakfast for the family at least once a week.
  • Stick to our budget, and look for ways to save more.
  • Emphasize the concept of respect with Ella and Troy.
  • Foster a good relationship between the kids (teaching them about sharing, patience, kindness, etc.)
  • Give Ella and Troy more responsibilities around the house (chores, etc.) 
  • Get outside more with the kids.
  • Get down on the floor and play with the kids more.

Photography:

  • Learn more about off-camera flash.
  • Learn more about Adobe Photoshop.
  • Work on posing. I’ve come a long way in my posing over the past couple of years, but I feel like it will be something where I can always learn more. 
  • Learn more about graphic design.

Other:

  • Exhibit more patience towards everyone, but especially my husband and children.
  • Work on time management, including getting up at a more consistent time in the morning, and going to bed earlier in the evening.
  • Spend less time on the computer.
  • Finish reading Bringing Up Girls and Bringing Up Boys.
  • Re-read Your Mama Don’t Dance.
  • Read A Well-Trained Mind and Home Education.
  • Continue researching schooling choices for Ella, and make a decision with my husband about Ella’s schooling in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment