Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade Freezer Breakfast Burritos

Since I’ve been working toward a healthy lifestyle, I’ve been eating a lot of frozen breakfast sandwiches or wraps for breakfast (although I’m not doing Weight Watchers, I really like their Smart Ones frozen breakfast options). However, those meals aren’t the cheapest breakfast option, and the variety of the sandwiches or wraps are limited. I had seen several recipes (methods) for making homemade freezer breakfast burritos on Pinterest, so I decided to give it a whirl. I used this method as a starting point, but made it my own. My goal was to make these breakfast burritos low calorie – mine ended up being about 190 calories per burrito.  Calories will vary based on filling choices as well as the tortillas used. Oh, and these burritos cost about $0.44 per burrito, not bad!

Ingredients (will vary based on desired fillings):

12 large eggs

20 tortillas (depending on tortilla size you may need more or less)

20 tablespoons of shredded cheese (I used mozzarella). Note – the burritos I made are not very cheesy. I’m not that big on cheese, plus I was trying to keep the calories down.

1 package turkey sausage (or other breakfast meat)

1 bell pepper

1 onion

120119IMG_0162.jpg

Start by chopping the onion and bell pepper. Cook the sausage, onion and bell pepper (I cooked this in the pan after removing the sausage), and scramble the eggs. The onion and bell pepper add a nice bit of freshness to the burritos. I think next time I might add some jalapeño for a little extra kick.120119IMG_0164.jpg 120119IMG_0167.jpg

Once everything is cooked, it is time to assemble the burritos. I started by adding the cheese, then adding the onion and bell pepper, sausage, and finally eggs. I would then do a slight “mix” of the fillings before wrapping the burritos up (I didn’t do this, and I wish I had). 120119IMG_0169.jpg 120119IMG_0170.jpg 120119IMG_0171.jpg

Fold the burritos up and place seam side down in a dish that you can transfer to the freezer. Place the pan(s) of burritos in the freezer for one hour. After one hour, remove, and individually wrap each burrito in plastic wrap or press n’ seal wrap. Store the burritos in a freezer bag or container.120119IMG_0172.jpg

Although heating times will vary, I reheat my burritos by unwrapping from the plastic wrap, wrapping in a paper towel, and heating for approximately 2 1/2 minutes at 50% power in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment