Thursday, October 6, 2011

More Star Trails

About a month and half ago, I attempted to take some photos of star trails (the movement of the stars in the sky). At the time, I didn’t have a remote shutter release for my camera, which meant that my star trails were not smooth, but instead shaky.  I now have a remote shutter release, so I was able to take one long exposure shot (using the bulb mode on my camera) instead of making a composite shot, so the trails are much smoother this time around. I have a feeling I’ll be taking many more star trails photos – hopefully with some more interesting foregrounds as well.

These photos all have somewhat different settings. The first two are more traditional star trails photos while the last one has more of a "twinkling" star effect (much shorter exposure than the first two).

 

28mm, focused at infinity, f/4.5, ISO 400, SS 805 seconds (exposed using bulb mode) 111001IMG_9192.jpg

 

28mm, focused at infinity, f/18, ISO 400, SS 1002 seconds (exposed using bulb mode)

Notice how much darker this one is because of the aperture difference even though this one was exposed for a longer length of time. 111002IMG_9193.jpg

 

28mm, focused at infinity, f/4.5, ISO 400, SS 90 seconds 111001IMG_9191.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment