Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Proverbs 31:25

Far Above Rubies

(To read previous posts in this series first, click here!)

Proverbs 31:25: "Strength and honor are her clothing, She shall rejoice in the time to come."


This verse is a beautiful description of the worthy woman of Proverbs 31.  She is clothed, or covered, with strength and honor. What an amazing compliment to the life that she is leading!

Throughout this entire passage of scripture (Proverbs 31:10-31), the worthy woman's actions show her strength and honor. She is trustworthy (verse 11); she chooses good over evil (verse 12); she completes her work willingly (verse 13); she provides for her family and others (verse 15); she is wise with her finances (verse 16); she is prepared (verse 18); she is hardworking (verse 19); she is generous and charitable (verse 20); she clothes those of her household well (verse 21); she is wise with her speech (verse 26); and she fears the Lord (verse 30).

I'll admit that I was struggling with the second part of this verse. When will the worthy woman rejoice? In this lifetime or eternally or both? While I think she certainly will rejoice in this lifetime as well as eternally, after further study of the word that is translated "rejoice" in this passage, I found that it means "laugh." In fact, other versions, such as the American Standard Version and English Standard Version actually translate the word as "laughs." When I read this part of the verse as "and she laughs at the time to come," my thoughts go to the preparation of the worthy woman. She doesn't have to worry about the time ahead because she has properly prepared the things in her life. Oh, how I wish that I could always laugh at the time to come! I still have so much growing to do in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment