Monday, July 19, 2010

Follow-Up: Creating a Shared Toddler/Newborn Room

Last week, I blogged that I was trying to figure out how to create a shared room for my toddler daughter and her future baby brother. After much thought and searching (lots and lots of internet shopping), I think I've come up with a plan. I'd love to know what you think (even if you don't like it!). I found I was really, really limited by the toddler bedding that is available out there right now. I did a ton of shopping, and I was surprised at how little toddler bedding is actually available on the market (or maybe it just seems like such a small selection compared to the quantity of crib bedding available).

Bedding for baby brother:

Bedding for Ella:


I like that the animals are similar on the two bedding sets, even though they don't match exactly (and I was never going for matching exactly). 

As I mentioned previously, I think we will paint Ella's side of the room one color and baby brother's side of the room a different color. For example, something like the twin nursery I found on Baby Room Bio.

I'll have to actually have the bedding in hand to decide what colors, but for now I'm thinking light blue or light green for baby brother's side of the room, and light purple for Ella's side  of the room. I'm also thinking I'll do all the curtains in the room a chocolate brown color to tie everything together. I'd love to know what paint combinations you'd think would work best!

I also plan to make wooden letters spelling out each child's name to hang above their beds (like I have in Ella's room now, but her current letters won't match). I'm still looking for some other creative DIY projects to add the finishing touches to the room (well, imaginary room at this moment, since I haven't actually done any work yet!).

Stay tuned for pictures of the completed room!

7 comments:

  1. Love it! Sounds so cute! Let me know if you need any help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fantastic! I hope I'll be able to see it.
    when is my half-birthday twin planning to arrive approximately?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bedding! Whenever we have our second, they may have to share a room, so I love seeing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bedding! I like that it's similar and ties together but doesn't match so they each still have their own room (or 1/2 room :D)

    Let me know if you need any help painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved the color combo of light green and lilac. Another favorite of mine is light blue and deep red. It's actually what I did Alice's room in. The walls are light blue and the bedding and art are red poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! I love the paint the two sides of the room different colors idea!! I think it will be perfect for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote for colors is light purple and light green! If you need any help painting the walls or any decorations for the room, just let me know...you know I love to paint! :) As for artwork for the room, I love the round canvases with the animals on them that are over the crib in the picture of "baby brother's" bedding. Very cute!!! I'm excited to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete