Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Proverbs 31:10

As I mentioned a couple of posts back, my friend Kristen over at Bringing Up Benjamin is starting a weekly discussion about being a godly woman. The discussion started yesterday, and I'm already behind, but at least I'm getting to it now. Check out Kristen's post and the comments for this week's discussion!

I'm around young Christian women quite often, and many times in discussion this passage and its entire context (Proverbs 31:10-31) is brought up as a passage to study. There is a reason these verses are brought up frequently! As a Christian woman, I should be striving to be like the woman of Proverbs 31. I'm thankful for this opportunity to study these verses individually and conduct an in-depth study with other women.

Far Above Rubies

Proverbs 31:10 (NKJV): "Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies."


The woman of Proverbs 31 is rare and valuable. She is rare and valuable, not because of her outer appearance or even who her spouse is, but rather because of her inner qualities. She is rare and valuable because she is virtuous.

Virtuous is one of those words we (well, at least I don't) don't use often in our everyday speech. In fact, the last time I remember thinking about the word virtuous (or more specifically virtue) was when I was involved in a study about 2 Peter 1:5-7 where Peter instructs Christians to add virtue to their faith. So what does virtuous mean? One of the definitions on Dictionary.com is "morally excellent;" in fact, the English Standard Version actually translates the word "virtuous" as "excellent." Although the word "excellent" is often used casually in our language today, I think we can perhaps grasp the idea of "morally excellent" a little easier than "virtuous." When I think about something that is excellent, I think about something that is high above something else or of a superior quality. Therefore to be morally excellent, one must be of "superior quality" in their morals - how one speaks, displays themselves, and acts.

Proverbs 31:10 clearly indicates that it is rare to find a wife who exhibits morally excellency, and that she is very valuable. To whom is she valuable? If you continue to read the verses following Proverbs 31:10, you'll find that she is valuable to not only her spouse (31:11-12,28), but to her children (31:28), to the poor and needy (31:20), as well as to others around her (31:15, 24).

I'm always thinking of Ella, and the things I must teach her so that she will choose to be a faithful godly woman one day. When thinking of this verse in particular, I want to compel her to realize that not only should she strive to be a virtuous wife, but that she should be rare when considering the women of the world. I want her to find a husband who values that rarity.

I pray for her and her possible future spouse (although admittedly not as often as I should) and I encourage you to do the same for your children, in private and in front of your children. Consider the impact on your children when they have heard you pray for them and their future spouse as they grow up! This idea was brought to my attention in Your Mama Don't Dance by Glenn and Cindy Colley - a great Christian parenting book that I think all Christian parents should read.

2 comments:

  1. I am really going to enjoy reading your study of Proverbs 31. I am really excited!

    Thanks for the reminder to pray for spouses. I was really good about this when Gabe was a baby, but to be honest, I don't think I have ever prayed for David's future spouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for joining in, Lisa! I really enjoyed your thoughts on the verse. I am so glad that you joined in and I pray we will all be blessed by this study!

    I love that book, Your Mama Don't Dance! It has really been helpful to me! And I don't pray for Benjamin's spouse as often as I should either, but I do want to make that a habit.

    ReplyDelete