Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Parenting from Proverbs: Teaching Application

Proverbs 2:1-5:

My son, if you receive my words, And treasure my commands within you,  So that you incline your ear to wisdom, And apply your heart to understanding;  Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding,  If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, And find the knowledge of God.

Proverbs 2:2 instructs us that we must not only incline our ear to wisdom, but also apply our heart to understanding. One of the most daunting tasks to me as a parent is teaching my children to apply knowledge in their lives. And, while I want my children to be able to apply knowledge in all aspects of their lives, the most important knowledge they must apply is spiritual. I don’t want my children simply to have knowledge of God and the Scriptures: I want them to live their lives according to God’s Word because they do have knowledge of God and the Scriptures. As a parent, I must seek to not only teach them God’s Word, but how to implement it in their lives so that they can truly live for God and bring others to Him.

This starts with me: if I’m not living in accordance with God’s Word I cannot expect them to live in accordance with it. However, it goes beyond me simply living as an example for them. I must discipline them appropriately when their actions do not line up with Godly actions. I must instruct them as to why it is important to follow God’s Word, not just simply tell them to do it. I must make it a priority to pray for their souls – privately, but also with them to help them see the concern and importance of their soul.

More Parenting from Proverbs

No comments:

Post a Comment